Marianne - far far away

Monday, April 02, 2007

Hurt people hurt people

"Hurt people, hurt people." In other words, people who hurt others with their actions and words are people who are hurting inside themselves! When someone lashes out at another person, they are expressing their hurt in a destructive and irresponsible manner. Feelings of hurt and pain are normal parts of everyday life. Therefore, it is important to find solutions to our problems that are constructive and responsible in order to enjoy the pleasures that life has to offer, as well.

When I am hurt I tend to hurt others. Whether I want to or not. It is when I am aware of what is my own issues and take ownership of them, think them through and deal with them. It is when I am in that process that it is easier to deal with others. Sometimes we don't know what hurt us, and sometimes we don't know why we hurt others. Maybe this can help me be more empathic and less aggressive if someone hurts me or attacks me in any way. I know that some say "attack is the best defense" but in the long run it just brings along even more pain.

Now I am not saying that being hurt is an excuse for bad behaviour, but I do think that we sometimes judge peoples character on a wrong interpretation of who they are. We cannot know what hurt people, but we can show them acceptance and give space for them to figure it out. We can also stop ourselves from hurting others by dealing with the issues we have.

Hurt people can only hurt others if allowed to do so. With adults, know that you can judge the size of a person by the size of the things that they allow to make them angry.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home