Marianne - far far away

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

teaching career, ready set go



Last night I had my very first "Communicate in Swedish" lesson. I was terribly nervous before, and pretty stressed out about whether I had prepared enough or maybe too much for the two hours that I was to spend with my 8 students.
Only 6 of them showed up, but it was a really good group. Mainly 25-30 years old. WHich is lucky, since apparently in Britain there was no requirement for a 2nd language for a while, so everyone 30+ doesn't know anything about, pronouns, verbs, adverbs etc...

I'm really excited about this course, although it is rather stressful, since I already have my job in the cafeteria (4 hours/day all week). But I think I'm going to give some of my shifts away to Angie.

(She lives in my corridor, and she's a blast)


It is weird to teach your own language. And it's really hard to decide what to start with. Find out what would be a good base.
Unfortunately, there are hardly any good textbooks for Swedish for beginners, most of them are rather old, looking more like the 70's. So I am going to have to do ALOT of work on my own. I've been copying from French and English books that I've found in the library and used them as inspiration and sometimes just translated directly so that I have something more up to date to give to my students.

I just got out of a cold, but I haven't been sleeping properly (because the 'cold relieg' pills apparently had caffeine in them, GREAT!) So I'm going to take a nap now.

Tonight the brotherhood has arranged for a costume party, or Fancy dres party as it apparently is called in England. I have class until 9 so I'm going to be late, and don't have time to dress up, but I gave Johanna P the amazing idea to be a mirror. She can use an old picture frame and imitate people, annoying AND creative. hehe

BTW: Check facebook for pictures from the Cornwall trip. This was my very first time. It's terrible that I've missed 3 of them. But apparently it was raining the past years.
We had amazing weather, and the group this year of students are just great. They're just alot of fun! SO It was a great trip (Except for my cold + soar throat).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home